Life Extension BioActive Folate & Vitamin B12
Our BioActive Folate & Vitamin B12 include biologically active forms of folate and vitamin B12 to promote heart, brain and GI tract health.
Folate is a member of the B-complex family. It is found in abundance in leafy green vegetables. Folate participates in a coenzyme reaction that synthesizes DNA needed for cell growth and new cell formation and helps convert vitamin B12 to one of its coenzyme forms.
Folate provides the following health benefits:
- Helps promote healthy DNA function
- Maintains already normal homocysteine levels, which is important for heart health
- Promotes healthier skin
- Helps maintain a healthy GI tract
- Is part of a healthy immune system
- Maintains healthy endothelial function
- Improves mild memory loss associated with ageing
- Optimal levels of folate are necessary for healthy cell division and protein synthesis and are especially important for the maintenance of a healthy GI tract. The systemic need for folate increases in certain states in which increased cell multiplication is needed. Chronic use of medications such as aspirin in therapeutic doses and antacids can interfere with the metabolism of folate.
- Vitamin B12 is found in foods of animal origin, including dairy products and eggs. Thus, vegetarians are more susceptible to a dietary deficiency of this important nutrient. With ageing, absorption of vitamin B12 from dietary sources typically declines.
- Supports brain health and cognition as one age
- Supports heart health by regenerating the amino acid methionine which helps maintain healthy homocysteine levels
- Supports nervous system function as vitamin B12 and folate together help maintain the integrity of the myelin sheath of nerves
- Helps enhance methylation and promote nerve cell growth, brain health, cognition and metabolism
- Works with folate to maintain the production of red blood cells (erythropoiesis) within the normal range
- BioActive Folate & Vitamin B12 capsules contain the biologically active forms of folate (as 5-methyltetrahydrofolate) and vitamin B12 (as methylcobalamin)
- 5-methyltetrahydrofolate or 5-MTHF is the metabolically active form of folic acid—it is the only form of folate used directly by the body and does not require metabolic conversion or activation. 5-MTHF is seven times more bioavailable than folic acid. 5-MTHF can cross the blood-brain barrier which allows 5-MTHF specifically to benefit the neurological system.
- Methylcobalamin is the bioactive form of B12 that is readily utilized in the body and the central nervous system.
Note: Healthful diets with adequate folate may reduce a woman’s risk of having a child with a brain or spinal cord defect. Women of childbearing age should consume 800 mcg of folate daily.
|Serving Size 1 vegetarian capsule|
|Amount Per Serving|
|Folate (as L-5-methyltetrahydrofolate calcium salt)||400 mcg|
|Vitamin B12 (as methylcobalamin)||300 mcg|
| Other ingredients: microcrystalline cellulose, dicalcium phosphate, |
vegetable cellulose (capsule).
|Dosage and Use|
| Take one (1) capsule daily with or without food, or as recommended |
by a healthcare practitioner.
|KEEP OUT OF REACH OF CHILDREN|
|DO NOT EXCEED RECOMMENDED DOSE|
|Do not purchase if outer seal is broken or damaged.|
When using nutritional supplements, please consult with your physician if you are |
undergoing treatment for a medical condition or if you are pregnant or lactating.